Independent Summer Project, 5/2013 - 8/2013
Jamming gripper holding up knob with plate and weights on it
Jamming gripper test setup. Gripper was balanced in the beginner and weights were added to the left-hand side of the gripper until the maximum gripping force was reached.
Underneath the jamming gripper.
The summer of 2012 I worked on a hobby robotics project in my spare time while I worked a menial job in retail.
Inspired by Cornell's awesome universal jamming gripper, I set out to make a gripper of my own and to test different materials to determine the optimal granular material for gripping purposes.
My gripper uses a simple balloon with granular material on the inside. I designed the outer cone in Autodesk Inventor and 3D printed it on my high school's 3D printer. The inner structure was machined out of some plastic I found laying around. I assembled the test stand out of 80/20 and aluminum squares I found laying around.
Throughout the summer, I worked on improving my testing platform and tested out several different materials (including coffee granules, flour, sugar, quartz sand). My testing was cut short with the end of the summer and my departure for college, so I never quite had the chance to conclude my work and fully analyze my findings.